About a year ago I posted The top 5 albums you’ve never heard, and I thought it was about time for another post on the subject.
So here you are, five albums you probably haven’t heard, and if you have, just shut up and enjoy the others!
- Sufjan Stevens – Come On Feel The Illinoise – Come on. His name is Sufjan. How could he not be awesome?
- Edison Woods – Seven Principles of Leave No Trace – Maybe it’s the weather cooling off, maybe it’s because I’m in Denver this week and got about 8 inches of snow dumped on me. Either way, this is great fall music.
- Bonobo – Dial M for Monkey – Lovely electronic selection. Some people find it repetitive, I think it’s great work music. If you like Amon Tobin (his earlier stuff) you will love this album.
- The Decemberists – Her Majesty – A friend introduced me to these guys a year ago by taking me to a concert. They rocked. I’ve been a fan ever since, and I just saw them at a sold out show at Webster hall, and they rocked even more. All three of their LP releases are excellent, but I think this one is my favorite at the moment. They aren’t exactly a secret, but I don’t think I’ve ever heard a song of theirs on the radio, so I think they can sneak onto this list.
- Since I hate picking favorites, no. 5 is a tie between Kaiser Chiefs – Employment and The Mountain Goats – Tallahassee. The Kaiser Chiefs are just some good old rock and roll from the UK. The Mountain Goats is this dude who rocks out with some acoustic guitar and some excellent lyrics. Just pick whichever one you are in the mood for. I also realize that the Kaiser Chiefs are fairly well known, so hopefully The Mountain Goats will help offset that a bit.
P.S. Last year I linked to allmusic.com for the album links, but since then I’ve decided that their website sucks ass because of the way they do their links, and with all the annoying Flash 3d crap flying around at the top of the page, the site is just too ridiculous to use. So I’m boycotting them and going with The Lesser Evil, Amazon.